About the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition
The Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition is a state-wide non-profit organization whose mission is to empower our community by raising awareness of breast health issues through outreach, education and support services, in order to facilitate the early detection and treatment of breast cancer.
The programs of the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition are designed to educate the community, provide outreach to under-served communities, connect survivors and honor those living with breast cancer.
Peer Mentoring and Clinical Trials Education
- DBCC’s Peer Mentoring Program offers one-on-one support and education by trained breast cancer survivors to newly diagnosed patients and individuals facing a recurrence, as well as their families and caregivers.
- Clinical Trials Initiative pairs trained peer mentors who have participated in clinical trials with those being offered a trial to answer questions, combat myths and fears, and assist in informed decision making.
- Beginning Your Journey programs, offered in collaboration with area hospitals, provide information in a small group setting to those newly diagnosed with breast cancer. Participants have questions answered, learn about available support programs and resources and meet other survivors.
- Nurture Your Self, currently offered at the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center, provides small group information sessions for women living with advanced breast cancer.
- Nurture with Nature provides a series to allow women to come together and experience nature by hiking, kayaking, biking, horseback riding, astronomy, or simply walking through a forest or along a beach.
- Survivor Socials give survivors a chance to meet regularly to socialize, learn a craft, volunteer, or get educated about a health topic.
Mobile Mammography Van
- The mobile mammography van provides on-site digital mammography screening at community centers, senior centers, health care facilities and employers throughout the state. Women who are uninsured or underinsured may be eligible for free or reduced cost mammograms through Screening for Life (Division of Public Health) and DBCC.
Annual Breast Cancer Update
- The Breast Cancer Update is a free, one-day educational forum open to the public as one of Delaware’s trusted sources of up-to-date breast cancer information. The event features discussions by panels of breast cancer experts.
- Attendees include breast cancer survivors and their families, physicians, nurses, and allied health professionals.
Community Breast Health Education Programs
DBCC’s outreach programs include:
- Providing breast health educational programs to businesses and community groups
- Participating in health and wellness fairs
- Educating nursing and allied health students about breast health
- Providing Cultural Competency Training to health care providers