Help Us Today
The Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition has a variety of ways to engage volunteers. How you volunteer with DBCC may depend on the amount of time you have available, your availability in the daytime or evenings, and the special skills and talents you may have to lend to DBCC. We will try to match your interests with our volunteer needs, which vary throughout the year.
September, and specifically October, tend to be busy times when we have more volunteer opportunities. The rest of the year is filled with various outreach opportunities, special events, educational needs, and more. We value our volunteers and want to make sure each and every opportunity is worth their time and dedication. Our volunteers help us to extend the “reach” of DBCC. We couldn’t do it without them!
Some of the specific opportunities that we have include:
Office / Mailings
- Help assemble mailings.
- Put together agency informational folders for doctors/hospitals.
- Help sort inventory, specifically the Go Pink! shirt partnership.
- Assemble goodie bags for events/partnerships.
Outreach / Health Fairs
- Attend Health Fairs/Community Events with staff member(s) to man the DBCC table.
- Pass out information.
- Talk to attendees about breast health, early detection, DBCC programs and services.
- Talk to women in your community, at church, in the workplace.
- Help cultivate new opportunities’ to showcase DBCC programs.
Breast Health Presentation (BHP) / Survivor Story
- Attend a BHP with staff member(s) to be the survivor connection at the end. Survivors share a brief synopsis of their story and answer questions about their breast cancer journey.
- Give a BHP presentation.
Fundraising and Partnerships
- DBCC hosts special events throughout the year that would not be possible without the help of volunteers.
- Join or chair a committee to help plan the event.
- Help secure donations for special events. Volunteers are also needed to pick up donated items.
- Sell ads in the program book.
- Set up or tear down on the day of the event.
- Volunteer at a special partnership event.
- Staff a table or join in at our other partnership events throughout the year.
Retail Assistance at Great Stuff Savvy Resale & Home
If you have a few hours a week and are looking to volunteer for a great cause, Great Stuff would love to have you!
Volunteers help set up displays, tag items, assist customers, organize donations, help with computer work, and more! Have fun while you volunteer and meet some great people!
Volunteer a few days a week, a few days a month, or simply be “on-call” to help when needed. Contact Trish or Barbara at 302-478-7890.
New Castle County Contact:
or (302) 778-1102 x 1010
Kent County Contact:
or (302) 672-6435 x 1001
Sussex County Contact:
or (302) 212-2947 x 1030
Become a Peer Mentor
The Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition Peer Mentor Support for Breast Cancer Program provides free one-on-one support and education to those newly diagnosed with breast cancer. When you are diagnosed with breast cancer, it is often helpful to speak with someone who is a survivor and who has been through a similar breast cancer journey.
Mentors participate in a 3-hour training that presents topics such as listening skills, the mentorship role, confidentiality, problem-solving, handling difficult situations, and reporting requirements. Trainees learn through lectures, interactive activities, and role plays. Training are held as needed in each county.
If you have been diagnosed with breast cancer and are interested in becoming a mentor, please contact the Peer Mentor Program Coordinator in your area:
New Castle County
(302) 672-6435 x 1001
(302) 672-6435 x 1001
(302) 212-2947 x 1030